Made from scrap

Made from scrap
All's well

Followers

Total Pageviews

Thursday 21 July 2011

Day 20 Tour De Fleece 2011 - Navajo plied Yak Yarn

I did it, I did it!  I managed to Navajo ply.  I have managed this new to me method, by no means have I mastered it but I have managed to Navajo ply.  I understand the principal, it would be great when I have practiced more and can manage a nice even ply.  Navajo is a method of ply from a single bobbin.  You make a large, long slip knot and work a kind of extended finger knit chain with spin to ply, if you google it or search Youtube you can easily find tutorials explaining far more succinctly than I can manage.  The resulting yarn is a three ply.  I love Yak yarn and would really like to make a big project in this fibre or just buy a Yak hair cardigan.    

5 comments:

  1. That yarn is gorgeous. My mind cannot wrap itself around making 3 ply from one bobbin. You rock.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow very not yuck its yak!!!! I love the rich chocolatey brown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you got a plan for yummy yak?
    love
    Tickety-boo
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yarn is so lovely, it will be wonderful to work with :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did it! Woo hoo! For me it was the opposite - I started with N-ply and had to force myself to learn a new plying technique and now I have several and am able to use different ones to achieve the yarn I want. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy reading all of the feedback from your comments. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and sharing your thoughts. Sadly I have found it necessary to enable word verification, something I was trying to avoid...but I am receiving an unmanageable deluge of Spam! We don't want that do we? xxx :)