- There is no fat in the ingredients.
- There are no eggs in the ingredients.
- It requires no weighing of ingredients.
- It is a very easy recipe.
- It is very economical to make.
- The ingredients are easy to increase or decrease in quantity.
- The mixture is not temperamental, you can bake it in the oven while you are baking other things and it won't sink when you open the oven door.
- This cake keeps well and infact improves with keeping.
- It slices really well and is ideal for packed lunches or picnics.
- It is high in fibre so is very good for healthy digestion.
- The house smells delicious while it is baking.
- It tastes delicious.
1 mug of 'Bran Sticks' cereal
1 Mug of Milk
1 Mug of Sugar
1 Mug of Raisins
1 Mug of Self-raising Flour
Mixed Spice or Ground Nutmeg (optional)
In a large mixing bowl, soak the bran sticks in the milk for an hour. Add all of the other ingredients and mix well. Spoon the mixture into a buttered 2lb loaf tin. Bake in a medium to low oven for approximately 40 mins, until the mixture is firm to the touch.
As there is no fat in the ingredients I think it is fine to eat a slice spread thickly with butter!
I doubled up on the ingredients and baked two cakes alongside bread rolls. I will be taking the cake to the monthly Weaving, Spinning and Dyeing Guild meeting tomorrow to be on offer during tea breaks. I enjoy the home-made treats at these meetings.